Typewriter Project

It has been a few months since I post a blog. Time just keeps marching on and I have been keeping really busy with my job but I did find some time to finally do a photography project that has been kicking around in my head for a few years now.

The project was to photograph an old typewriter. As some remember a few years back I put out a Facebook post that I was looking for an old typewriter. Well a member of our old church in Michigan found one at a sale. The typewriter sat around our Michigan home and was eventually moved to Ohio when we made our move almost two years ago. So back in early March, while the weather outside was still on the gloomy side, I decided to get out the typewriter and make some photographs.

I set up a backdrop, setup up my mono lights and worked at photographing the typewriter over the course of three different days in March. I primarily used my Tamron 90 mm macro lens (which I have fallen in love with) and I used my android tablet which I tethered to my camera. I decided to tether my tablet to my camera for two reasons. The first was to use it for manual focusing of the lens in live view (gives a much bigger screen than the small one on the back of the camera) and to be able to review the images right after I pressed the shutter. It worked rather well and I think I will use it more often, although I might need to get a holder for it to mount on my tripod.

Below are a sampling of some of the photographs I made of the old typewriter.

Besides the Tamron macro lens I did use my Canon 50 mm f/1.8 lens for a few of the photographs.

I had fun making these photographs and I can’t wait to figure out what to do for my next project.

Thanks for viewing my images.

— Dave —